PeachyTales takes us on a trip across time with this tasty Medieval meat pie!
Ingredients for 5-8 persons
Cooking time : 1hr 30 mins Preparation time : 30 mins
For the crust pastry: 150g unsalted butter, 500g plain flour, 1 tsp fine salt, 1 medium egg, plus 1 beaten egg to glaze.
For the filling: 1 large white onion, sliced, 3 leeks, finely chopped, 100g small button mushrooms, 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped, 5 chicken sausages, cut into 1 cm each, 500g minced chicken meat, 200g minced lamb meat, 50ml cooking cream, ½ lemon juice, salt/pepper, large handful parsley, roughly chopped, few rosemary leaves, finely chopped.
1. The pastry dough: place the flour in a bowl. Cut butter into cubes and add to the flour. Mix altogether creating a crumble like texture. Add water (cold water) a little at a time and knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Separate the dough into two pieces, one roughly twice the size of the other. Roll out both portions of pastry on a lightly floured surface to between ⅛ and ¼ inch thick. Use the larger piece of pastry as a bottom crust, lining the pie dish (trap); set aside the smaller piece for a top crust.
2. In a large bowl combine all the above mentioned Ingredients for the fillings, mix thoroughly and leave to rest in the chill for 15 mins approx.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 for 30 mins. Grease a 23cm diameter, deep, loose bottomed cake tin with butter thoroughly and lay in parchment paper.
4. Place rolled out pastry dough into the greased tin and make sure it fills all the gap in the tin properly. Pour the filling inside of the pie case and sealed with the other half of the dough.
5. Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg and pierce a hole in the middle to let out steam as it cooks. Use the trimmings to decorate the pie, if you like – don’t forget to glaze them as well.
6. Bake for 1 hour max at 180°C. Leave to cool down at least 30 mins before slicing.