This Christmas, treat yourself with a Red Velvet cake. This American classic has been named as such thanks to its velvety texture and its deep red colour. A light dough with a nice cocoa and vanilla flavour, topped with a cream cheese icing… This dessert is a true delight! Follow the steps Joe-Ann Chavry from A Cup of Joe with LaCase.mu to bake this cake which guarantees a colourful touch to your festive table.
A Cup of Joe proposes a layer-cake covered with a cream cheese ice. For the Christmas decor ? Why not a macaron pine tree with edible pearls ?
Ingredients for the Red Velvet cake :
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of red food colouring
- 1 tsp of white distilled vinegar
- ½ cup of hot coffee
Red Velvet cake method :
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Whisk and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the sugar and the oil and whisk for about 5 minutes at medium speed.
- Once the sugar and the oil are thoroughly integrated, add the eggs one by one and whisk to obtain a homogenous mix. Then add the milk, vanilla and red food colouring. Mix for about 2 minutes.
- Add the white distilled vinegar and the hot coffee.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix one spoonful at a time.
- Keep whisking until the red velvet batter is well mixed. Be careful to make sure that the dry ingredients mix is well integrated.
- Line 4 cake tins, each of 18-cm diameter and about 3 cm depth.
- Pour the cake mixture in equal amounts in the 4 lined tins.
- Place all 4 tins in the preheated oven. Bake for about 15 minutes. To check if the 4 cakes are baked, insert a skewer and if it comes out dry, your cakes are ready.
Cream cheese frosting :
- 113g of cream cheese
- 65g of unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 300g of icing sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Raspberry jam (optional)
Cream Cheese frosting method:
- Whisk cream cheese until it softens.
- Add half of the icing sugar and whisk it in until more or less integrated, then fold in the rest of the icing sugar. Whisk with an electric mixer to obtain a homogenous mix.
- Beat in the soft butter and the vanilla extract until it becomes soft and creamy.
- Place the cream cheese frosting in the fridge for an hour for it to reach a firmer, yet spreadable, consistency.
Decoration: Macarons and edible pearls
- Place one of the cakes on your serving dish or cake board, add 2 spoonfuls of cream cheese frosting and spread evenly over the cake surface.
- Add a dollop of raspberry jam (optional) and spread over the cream cheese.
- Add another layer of cake and repeat the process until the 4 layers form the cake.
- On top of the cake, add some red velvet cake crumble, if there is any left.
- Place macarons and edible pearls or any other Christmas decoration.
Your Red Velvet Christmas cake is ready!